British Literature blog

Listening a lost skill?

Please watch this video first.

Mr. Treasure was talking about how  we don’t listen as much as we should.

“We spend roughly 60 percent of our communication time listening, but we’re not very good at it. We retain just 25 percent of what we hear.”

I thought he had some really interesting things to say, and schools need to focus more on teaching kids to read. We already have so much technology now. Gone are the days when you had to read newspapers or call someone to get information, now we not only get it faster, but its shorter to read, and its easier. This is probably why more and more retreats are coming out where they say its a ‘break from technology’. Its good to step back, and actually listen to sounds that arent beeping, and ringing, or traffic, just, the world as it was, and still is under the cacophony of noises

Of the five ways I heard about, the two i liked and tried is Silence, and rasa. I’m good with the silence and actually tried it all week. I found that my hearing capacity and patience time went up a bit. it was cool to be able to tune out everything, and be able to tune into certain things alone ands still alright.

Posted by on September 21, 2012 at 1:11 am | Comments & Trackbacks (1)

One Response to “Listening a lost skill?”

1.   April Kassman Says:

Hi Ashleigh,
    Listening skills is a fascinating area of study. Research actually shows that listening skills need to be taught, they are not naturally learned. Looks like you just learned that lesson:) I thought you might be interest in a TED video; Why should listening be taught as a skill in school? http://www.ted.com/conversations/4633/why_should_listening_be_taught.html
    Miss you in journalism.